King of Green KOICHIRO Imperial (wooden box included)
A honzu tea estate with over 400 years of history.
Honzu are traditional reed and straw canopies used to shade tea.
It is not clear when this method of shading tea plants was first developed, but the practice was described as means of protecting the tea plants from frost in History of the Japanese Church, written by the missionary Joaõ Rodriguez over 400 years ago.
The purpose of honzu is not only to protect the tea from frost however. The method is also used to maintain moisture levels and adjust the amount of sunlight, creating the perfect environment for tea cultivation. The result of this painstaking process is some the finest tea in all of Japan, but because of the time and effort required, as well as the risk of fire, the number of estates making tea in this way is decreasing year by year.
In spite of this, Koichiro Yamamoto, 5th generation heir to the Yamamoto Tea Estate, is still making high-quality tencha and matcha the old-fashioned way, using traditional techniques unchanged in over 400 years.
※Glass not included
Infusion Time: 3 days
- Type: Japanese green tea (Uji Tencha) 京都宇治碾茶
- Cultivar: Samidori さみどり
- Tea leaf origin: Koichiro Yamamoto Tea Estate (Uji, Kyoto) 山本晃一郎の茶園（京都府宇治市）
- Cultivation method: Natural cultivation 自然仕立て
- Harvesting method: Hand-picked
- Tea leaf producer: Mr. Koichiro Yamamoto, JA Kyoto Yamashiro
- 1 bottle/750ml, tea beverage, store upright, keep refrigerated
- Best before date: 1 month from date of dispatch